There is a commonality with most households kitchens, restaurants, cafes & food processing plants, what is this you ask? A regular addition to the communal table where we all sit to enjoy food & life, Its called "SODIUM" commonly referred to as salt. Not only is salt used widely in cooking & to add flavour but "HIDDEN" in a wide range of foods in which you purchase on a daily basis. See the problem in Western society like many things is we over do it & many companies add HIGH LEVELS of SODIUM into commercial foods to act as a preservative & flavour enhancer, this is generally done to cut costs at your healths & your families health expense. In this feature I am going to uncover the reality of sodium consumption in today's society, brands/foods to avoid at all costs & health risks associated with sodium intake.
The Hard Facts:
In today's society we are consuming an alarming level of sodium on a daily basis & this is due to the high consumption of processed/packaged foods but don't be fooled even your claimed health foods like Breads, Canned Foods, Dairy etc. Are actually full of high levels of sodium. On a daily basis from all food sources when eating a wholefood diet you do not want to be consuming anymore then 650mg to a Maxim of 900mg per day. The average Australian including children are consuming a staggering 4600mg, 4.6g per day which equates to around 3 teaspoons of salt & with a section of society consuming more then 6g of sodium per day. Did you know? At breakfast alone you & your family are consuming nearly your whole daily RDI for Sodium intake & that's just in the Bread!!!! Below I will outline the foods to avoid at all costs that contain high levels of sodium & are an absolute HEALTH WARNING!!!
Foods To Avoid:
(Breads, Crumpets, Muffins)
- Wonder White breads = 350mg per serve
- Helgas Seeded & Rye Breads = 300mg per serve
- Burgen women's health Bread = 332mg per serve
- Burgen Heart health Bread = 232mg per serve
- Burgen Rye & Digestive Bread = 325mg per serve
- Tip Top White Bread = 274mg per serve
- Abbott's Village Bakery Bread = 361mg per serve
- Lawsons Traditional Bread = 513mg per serve (THE WORST)
- English Muffins White & Wholemeal = 268mg per serve
- Golden Crumpets = 380mg per serve
WARNING: So you see that just at breakfast you are consuming nearly your whole daily intake of sodium just in your bread. Children will generally eat 3 servings of bread per day, this equates to 6 slices with a total sodium intake of nearly 1250mg just from breads alone. When choosing breads always go for rye, spelt or gluten free brads like Buckwheat & rice bread from local bakers, farmers markets etc. always read labels & go for breads that contain no more then 100mg per serve. Brands like Sanoma & Organic breads will often be low in sodium and offer a sodium level of 55mg to 100mg per serve.
WARNING: Wraps are not only high in sodium but many brands which claim to be healthy are actually full of chemicals & often have huge ingredient lists that contain preservatives & high amounts of sodium. When they claim to be healthy always check the label for Numbers, Preservatives, Emulsifiers, Stabilisers, Anti cracking Agents etc. Below are brands whom claim to be healthy but actually are full of these nasty UN natural ingredients. When choosing wraps always read labels and go for brands like Mountain Breads Wraps.
Brands to Avoid:
Brands to Avoid:
- Freedom Foods
- Freedom Foods Gluten Free (The Worst)
- Mission Wraps
- Wattle Valley
- 185g flavoured Tuna can = 270mg to 300mg per serve
- Canned Vegetables = 500mg to 800mg per serve
- Canned Beans & Chickpeas = 600mg to 800mg per serve
- Crisp breads = 100mg to 300mg per serve
- Crackers = 100mg to 300mg per serve
- Canned Spaghetti = 990mg per serve e.g. 1 cup.
- 2 Minute Noodles e.g. Noodle in a cup = 1250mg to 2500mg per serve
- Packet Pastas e.g. Alfredo = 360mg per serve
- Packets Rices e.g. Fried Rice = 550mg to 800mg per serve
HEALTH RISKS ASSOCIATED:
- HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE
- HEART FAILURE
- GASTRIC CANCER
- POOR KIDNEY FUNCTION & KIDNEY STONES
- CALCIUM EXCRETION
- LIVER CIRRHOSIS
- TYPE 2 DIABETES FROM CURED MEATS CONTAINING SODIUM NITRATE
- NEUROLOGICAL PROBLEMS
- INTESTINAL PROBLEMS
- RAW VEGETABLES
- RAW FRUITS
- RAW NUTS & SEEDS
- ALL NATURAL & ORGANIC PACKAGED FOODS (READ LABELS)
- FRESH WHOLEGRAINS
- FRESH LEGUMES
- FRESH HERBS
- FRESH SPICES
- COLD PRESSED OLIVE OILS
A Wholefood lifestyle containing an abundance of the above foods will give you your daily requirements of sodium & all your essential nutrients needed for optimal health. Knowledge is power & if you have any questions about products or the information given above please feel free to email me all your questions.
Eat well, Feel well, Live well.