Now, I'm sure you have all heard the word on the street of this little "super food" seed known as QUINOA! But what is it? How do I cook with it? Where is it from? In fact is actually a member of the grass family & is harvested from the Goosefoot plant which historically got its name from the awkward shaped leaves upon this interesting little plant which carries these little seeds of life. Qunioa originates from the Andean region in South America & was named natures super food by ancient Inca tribes who then called it "Chisaya Mama" meaning Mother of all Grains.
So you ask, Why are they so good for ME?
- Gluten Free
- Rich in Iron, Calcium, Magnesium & Copper.
- Rich in Protein & contains all Nine Essential Amino acids.
- Great for Cardiovascular Health
- Diabetes Type 2
- Migraine Suffers
- Antioxidant rich for Oxidative stress.
- Essential Fatty Acids e.g. EFA's.
- High in Fibre & low GI beneficial for keeping blood sugar levels stable.
Chisaya Mama Salad
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- 1 cup Black Quinoa
- 1/2 cup Whole Green Lentils
- x1 Bunch of Fresh Parsley
- x1 Bunch of Fresh Mint
- x1 Bunch of English Spinach
- 50g Wild Rocket Leaves
- 1 cup of soaked almonds
- 1 Large Carrot
- 1 Red Capsicum
- 1 Whole Lime
- 2 Dst Spoons Cold Pressed Olive Oil
- Bring 2 Saucepans to the boil. Add in your lentils & quinoa, reduce to a medium heat & boil for 20mins, stirring every 5 mins. Wash your almonds, cover with water & soak until ready to put your salad together
- Whilst boiling you can start chopping up your salad ingredients. Start with washing all your greens, then take all the greens and finely dice into a tabouli like consistency.
- Take your capsicum & dice into small squares followed by grating your carrot & place into your mixing bowl.
- Take your quinoa & lentils of the stove, drain & rinse thoroughly with cold water, followed by your almonds. (Tip - Use a mesh strainer to reduce loss of Quinoa & lentils)
- In your mixing bowl add in your boiled ingredients, almonds, all your greens, carrot & capsicum.
- slice your lime in half & together with the olive oil squeeze & drizzle over the salad mix.
- Lightly with your hands mix all the ingredients together & serve on plates atop of fresh rocket leaves. Enjoy!
(Tip) - keeping a bowl of Quinoa & lentils in the fridge is great, you can add to salads & is a quick option for busy people. Perfect for Vegetarians & Vegans that want some extra protein for their meals.